One of the biggest issues for us while traveling is getting out of shape! Especially when we have been traveling for so long. It's no secret that fitness is super important to us since Gavin used to be a personal trainer and at home we are constantly at the gym. We all know how it goes... You go on vacation, you eat whatever you want, whenever you want. You lay around on a beach chair for a week while getting pool side service bringing you fried Oreos every hour. And suddenly you get home, are feeling a little fluffy, and have to spend some extra time in the gym to get back to normal! So we are sharing a few of our favorite things that have helped us stay 'somewhat' in shape while traveling. And don't worry.... It doesn't involve spending an hour at the gym or giving up dessert. 😁
FITNESS AND TRAVEL
Of course the easiest way to stay in shape while on vacation is going to the gym at your hotel. But what if you’re hotel doesn’t have a gym? Or you don’t have time? Heres some of our favorite tips!
- WALKING: This one is super easy. And you wouldn’t think of it as a workout! Walking instead of taking a taxi is big for us. It gets you moving with a goal in mind of where you are going. Of course while we are currently walking through the heat and humidity of Thailand we sometimes regret it. But we get an awesome sweat on and count it as our workout of the day!
- HIT THE LOCAL MARKET: This is our favorite! Everywhere we travel we go to then grocery store and get food for breakfast and lunch. It is a great way to save money and stay healthy! We always get fruit, bagels, sandwiches, chips, and healthy snacks to take with us while we are site seeing! We also make sure to get plenty of water. We have seen such a difference in how we feel from eating out once a day instead of three.
- HIKING: We always love a good sunrise or sunset hike while traveling. Whether it is an uphill climb, a road with a view, or just a walk on the beach. We love hiking and its a great little workout! We obviously have traveled to a lot of places where hiking is all we do. But we have also found hikes in the city of LA (Literally “hiking” through houses for hours in the Hollywood Hills) to the beaches of Thailand. You can find a hike anywhere! Find them, hike them, and I promise it will be one of your favorite parts of your trip! And you can get some good cardio in while looking at a gorgeous view😍
- EXCURSIONS: Okay… Not all excursions can count as a workout. But we can pretend! We love doing excursions that get us active. Snorkeling, yoga classes, kayaking, scuba diving, ATV-ing, site seeing, etc. Totally counts as a workout right?! I will admit that my arms are sore from canoeing for a solid 2 minutes the other day😂 it counts!
- 10 MINUTE HOTEL ROOM (OR HOME) WORKOUT: This is where things get a little creative. We are always doing workouts in our room using the bed for tricep dips, or laying down on the bed to do abs. Doing lunges, squats, etc. Your hotel room is your gym! Here is a quick and easy workout to do in your hotel room, in under 10 minutes!
- 10 squats
- 10 lunges (each leg)
- 10 backward let raises (using leg resistance bands below)
- 10 push ups
- 10 bicep curls (using resistance bands below)
- 20 crunches
- 60 second plank
- 60 second jumprope or high knees
- repeat at LEAST twice!
OUR FAVORITE PORTABLE WORKOUT DEVICES: These are some of our favorites that we use! They are so affordable and great quality!👌
Jumprope: Perfect for a little cardio!
Workout bands: Perfect for arm or leg workouts!
Hand grip exersiser: Perfect for getting those muscular forearms!
Click on the pictures to shop these products and add them to your Amazon cart! 😊